Room additions and retrofits add usable living space and value to a home, but they also add extra square footage that requires cooling and heating. Or perhaps you want supplemental air conditioning for a specific room, garage or outbuilding, and you’re searching for the most practical and comfortable option for your Sarasota home. Keep reading to learn if the advantages ductless mini-split heat pumps offer your project outweigh any potential drawbacks.
Ductless System Advantages
- Quick installation: Ductless systems consist of a compact outdoor cabinet, sleek indoor air-handling unit (AHU) and a thin piping system, which allow for quick installation in generally one day.
- Multiple mounting options: The low-profile AHU may be mounted flush to a wall, ceiling or floor. You may also conceal the AHU if there’s space in cavities behind these surfaces. Another popular mounting option is wall- or ceiling-recessed cassette.
- Efficient: Many residential ductless mini-split heat pumps are Energy Star qualified. Super-cooling and dehumidification modes are monitored by sophisticated electronics — important comfort features not lost on Sarasota homeowners.
- Zoned control: An HVAC technician experienced with ductless systems should size the AHU specifically to the zone it’s installed in. This offers greater efficiency and comfort personalized to the occupants.
- Versatile uses: Ductless systems may be used for retrofits, add-on rooms, home offices, garages, pool houses, guest houses, rental properties, difficult-to-condition rooms and more.
- Filtration: Select ductless models are equipped with high-efficiency filtration, which helps eliminate germs, odors and allergy triggers.
Points to Consider
Every project is different, and you need to weigh alternatives to make sure a ductless system is right for your needs. One of the drawbacks could be the cost of purchase and installation of a ductless system compared to portable heaters and window A/C units. However, consider the return on investment. If you plan on using the ductless system frequently, the comfort benefits and energy savings earned to portable heaters and window A/C units is substantial. Also, ductless systems save square footage to extending air ducts.
Learn more about ductless mini-split heat pumps from the pros at Custom Air & Plumbing or contact us today at 888-856-4507 to schedule an appointment to determine your home’s needs!